Bollyspace

Thursday, November 03, 2005

mumbai, travel, research...tentative steps

I'm now in Mumbai, getting used to taking the train in this impossibly big city. I'm staying with relatives in a place called Chembur, and the train station is a short walk from home. I've taken the trains twice now, and haven't had a problem getting in or out...so far. I'm yet to experience peak hour train journeys here! Over the last two days, I've slowly ventured beyond the train routes. This afternoon, after a meeting with a veteran journo, I took a cab to Crossword, picked up a copy of Time Out, and took another cab back to V.T., awed by the beach and the skyline.

On the research front, the last couple of days have been quite productive. I've spoken with a few film critics, the editor of Filmfare, and met an Economic Times journalist who seems to know pretty much everyone there is to know in Mumbai! Parmesh's friend, he had all sorts of interesting stuff to say about the transitions the film industry has gone through over the last few years - the changes in promotions/marketing, the influence of multiplexes and film clubs, malls, and so on. And most important, towards the end of our conversation, not only did he give me a few phone numbers, he also jotted down a list of folks I would want to meet and promised to send me an email later today. Good stuff!

I'm off to New Delhi for week starting tomorrow. Out there, in addition to doing some family stuff over the weekend, I'll be spending a few days at the Indiatimes office in Gurgaon, some time at Sarai, and meeting film critics at major newspapers and magazines (and perhaps look into what NDTV has been doing on the film front).

3 Comments:

  • that's pretty good progress for a couple of days.
    Will you get to hang around the studios and shoots as well?
    NDTV, hmm television will be a whole new area... not sure how that will pan out.
    is there any show in India like E-entertainment etc talking about spotting stars and general gossip...not to do with music though. Just curious!

    By Anonymous mandira, at 11/03/2005 12:05 PM  

  • Hey there, Off to Dilli ha! Give the city my love and do give me a shout if you need anything at all while you are there. And fantastic stuff on the research front. Looks like you've covered a lot of base. Well done. See if you can manage a trip to the MCRC at Jamia. It might be useful. Try and meet Namrata Joshi of Outlook, she's just won the national award for the best film critic!

    By Anonymous Sumati, at 11/04/2005 4:32 AM  

  • And don't forget to shop and do some timepass also! Dilli Haat is nice - little touristy, but kee farak painda? Tusi tourist hi ho, ji!

    By Blogger Parmesh, at 11/07/2005 12:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home