Bollyspace

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

One year as ABD!

Around this time last year, I made the transition into that realm of great uncertainty known as ABD! I'm still there, making some progress. But there's a ways to go before I can emerge from the quicksand-like zone marked all-but-dissertation and move into one where I'll be almost-bloody done.

For the most part, these early days are fun. I'm writing a chapter, and doing a good job of thinking about the chapter and not the entire dissertation. I still like my topic. When friends ask me what I'm working on, I am able to give them a satisfactory answer in less than a minute. I don't snap at people who ask me how the dissertation is coming along. I planned ahead and came up with a routine that lets me be civil and cheerful: furrow eyebrows, nod slowly, say "it is coming along," and wait for the other person to follow up or be gracious and change the subject.

And you know what? I'm putting in my "fifteen minutes" every day, and that's that.

1 Comments:

  • well, now that I have started my fourth yr, I realised how freaking stupid the question ' how many more yrs to go' is.. These days I tell people up front. 'Never ask a woman her age, and a PhD student how many years more'X-(

    Well atleast there is someone in this world who's feeling they are making progess :) good for you.

    By Blogger Sqrl/NT, at 8/31/2006 1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home