Bollyspace

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Arrival Stories

This story in the Chronicle sparked memories of my own arrival in Athens, Ga, in the fall of 1999. Like the students in this story, I too sent emails to various "officers" of the Indian Students Association at the University of Georgia, and received detailed information on how to get to Athens from Atlanta. I was received by a couple of "seniors" who asked the standard questions within minutes of meeting me: where are you from? where did you do your undergrad? do you have funding? what are you going to study here? At one of their homes, in a part of athens dubbed "jamuna nagar" (james town), I answered many more questions, and received much 'gyaan' on navigating life in a small southern town. Needless to say, they fed me well (chole), and with a couple of phone calls, arranged an apartment that was within walking distance of the journalism school.

Read the whole story here.